President's Leadership Class
"PLC has been the highlight of my first year here at Iowa State!"
Leadership, an Iowa State tradition
Students have literally thousands of opportunities to become campus leaders. The President's Leadership Class is built on this rich tradition of leadership. Each fall, 30 first-year students are selected for the class on the basis of co-curricular involvement, community and school services and academic achievement in high school.
How it works
They meet weekly at The Knoll, the president's residence. Through formal and informal gatherings, students interact with Iowa State administrators, faculty and staff, and state and local leaders. They gain insights into how Iowa State works and exchange ideas about leadership development. They interact with guests, including political and business leaders and Iowa State alumni.
Iowa State students typically have a history of involvement in their high schools and communities, and they bring their leadership abilities to campus. The President's Leadership Class builds on these abilities and experiences, serving as an important training ground for students who will become campus leaders, and ultimately, leaders in their professions and communities.
- Class focuses on the meaning, practice, and responsibilities of leadership
- Students discuss a variety of topics related to leadership with President and Mrs. Leath and other key leaders
- Students engage in class exercises that help develop leadership skills
- Class meets every Tuesday evening from 5 to 6 p.m. during the fall and spring semesters at The Knoll
- Each student receives a $1,500 scholarship, $750 each semester, in recognition of past accomplishments and future leadership potential
- Strong record of leadership in school, community, religious, and/or service activities
- Strong interest in developing personal leadership potential
- Commitment to attend and participate in all class sessions throughout the year
- Top 25% of high school graduating class
- ACT minimum composite score of 25, or SAT minimum combined score in Math and Critical Reading of 1200
How to apply
- Fill out and submit the PLC application form that includes personal information, a leadership profile, and essay
- The application deadline is June 20, 2014.
- Applicants will receive email notification of their status by mid-to-late July 2014.