Presidential installation: Charles Friley
Charles E. Friley was appointed president of Iowa State College in March of 1936 and was officially installed seven months later (Oct. 7) in a grand affair, attended by more than 3,000 people. In the audience were some 340 officials from colleges and universities across the country.
In a colorful outdoor procession, college officials, delegates and faculty in full academic regalia wound their way from Beardshear Hall to State Gym, where the ceremony began. The program included a special address by William Bennett Bizzell, University of Oklahoma president and an old friend of Dr. Friley's.
George Titus Baker, president of the Iowa State Board of Education, administered the charge, calling upon Friley for "the faithful performance of all the duties, obligations, and responsibilities…in accordance with the approved standards, the best traditions, and the highest ideals of the College."
Friley's own address was titled "The Place of the Technological College in Higher Education."
Following the ceremony, 570 guests headed to the Memorial Union for lunch, speeches by the presidents of several colleges, and a performance by Frederick Fuller on the newly installed organ. Afterwards, the Frileys entertained out-of-town guests at their home, the Knoll.
After 17 years as president, Charles E. Friley retired in 1953. He died in 1958.