Message to campus about personal safety and support resources from President Wintersteen, SVP Younger and Chief Newton
September 13, 2021
Dear Iowa State University Community,
Campus has received crime warnings for sexual assaults three times since the beginning of the semester, including a case that occurred on university property outside of the main campus this past Saturday. We want to reiterate information shared in these warnings: Sexual assault is a crime. The only people responsible for sexual assault are the perpetrators. Iowa State University takes these crimes very seriously. It is a violation of university policy, and criminal charges and disciplinary actions can be filed or imposed.
This news may cause members of our community to feel anxious. Iowa State is constantly working to support a safe environment. We urge everyone to remain vigilant with respect to their personal safety and the safety of all students, faculty, staff and community members by following these practices:
- If you ever feel threatened or see something that is concerning, do not hesitate to contact the ISU Police by calling 911 or 515-294-4428.
- Download the Guardian App. This app is available for all ISU community members, with a full contact list of emergency and non-emergency personnel, push notifications about campus activity and crime, and a tip button for easy submissions to ISU Police.
- Contact SafeRide for a free ride home at night or early in the morning. This service is available to students, faculty, staff and visitors every day from 6 p.m. to 5:30 a.m. 365 days a year. SafeRide can be accessed through the app (available through the Google Play and Apple stores) or by calling 515-294-4444.
- The Green Dot program provides bystander intervention tools to help eliminate power-based personal violence.
- A list of additional safety tips can be found here.
Students who may be struggling with this information can reach out to the many resources available on and off campus.
- Assault Care Center Extending Shelter and Support (ACCESS) available 24/7 at 515-292-5378
- Thielen Student Health Center, 515-294-5801
- 24/7 Crisis Text Line, text “ISU” to 741741
- Title IX Coordinator, 515-294-7612
- Student Counseling Services, 515-294-5056
- Student Assistance, 515-294-1020
- ISU Police, 515-294-4428
- Campus Climate Reporting System
Faculty and staff may access support through the university’s employee assistance provider, Employee and Family Resources, 800-327-4692 (24/7 access). Support services are confidential and free to university employees and their family members.
We encourage all students to complete the “Sexual Assault Prevention” course in Canvas to increase awareness and skills around critical issues of sexual assault, relationship violence, stalking and sexual harassment. If you have questions about this course, please contact the Office of Equal Opportunity at email@example.com or 515-294-7612.
Please look out for one another and offer empathy to those who may feel unsafe or anxious. When we support each other, we can make a positive difference.
Toyia K. Younger
Senior Vice President for Student Affairs
Associate Vice President and Chief of Police