Message on the tragic deaths of two Iowa State students
June 3, 2022
Dear Iowa State Community,
We are heartbroken to learn of the deaths of two Iowa State University students who were killed last night outside of Cornerstone Church in Ames. Eden Montang was a senior in the College of Human Sciences from Boone and Vivian Flores was a junior in the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences from West Des Moines. We extend our deepest condolences to their families and friends.
Our hearts are also with the other students who were at the church at the time of the shooting. We know many others in our community attend services or are members at Cornerstone.
The Division of Student Affairs is working to provide resources and support for students impacted by this tragedy. If you need assistance, the following resources are available for students on campus or at home for the summer:
- Student Counseling Services, For crisis debriefing, mental health and well-being supportive services, 515-294-5056
- Student Assistance, For support with academic needs, connections to campus and community resources, or unsure where to start, 515-294-1020
- Thielen Student Health Center, For mental health and well-being support, 515-294-5801
- Crisis Text Line, text “ISU” to 741741 (available 24/7)
- ISU Police, For non-emergencies and general questions, 515-294-4428; For emergencies requiring immediate assistance, call 911
Faculty and staff may access support through the university’s employee assistance provider, Employee and Family Resources, 800-327-4692 (24/7 access). Support services are confidential and free to university employees and their family members.
We are grateful for the quick action of the first responders. The Story County Sheriff’s Office is leading the investigation. The suspected shooter, who was not a member of the ISU community, took his own life.
This is an especially difficult time as we also process recent shooting deaths that have occurred across the country. There is no justification for this senseless gun violence. These terrible tragedies must end.
If you are struggling or know someone who is, please do not hesitate to contact the resources above.
As we remember Eden and Vivian, please continue to support each other with empathy, care and compassion.
Senior Vice President and Provost
Senior Vice President for Student Affairs
Senior Vice President for Operations and Finance