Innovation and Entrepreneurship
Under President Wintersteen's leadership, Iowa State University is creating a vibrant ecosystem where innovation and entrepreneurship are built into the curriculum. Students will develop an entrepreneurial mindset that empowers them to turn their ideas into new businesses or startups, help existing companies innovate and grow, and make a difference in their communities. The deans of all seven colleges – Agriculture and Life Sciences, Ivy College of Business, Design, Engineering, Human Sciences, Liberal Arts and Sciences, and Veterinary Medicine – are leading conversations and working with Iowa State's entrepreneurial ambassador to develop unique approaches for curriculum and student experiences. Learn more about Innovate at Iowa State and how students can innovate their Iowa State adventure.
Iowa State University's leading role in innovation and entrepreneurship
- Iowa State is ranked #11 in the nation by the Princeton Review for student entrepreneurship.
- President Wintersteen has been selected to serve on the National Council for Expanding American Innovation.
- Iowa State was awarded APLU's 2020 Innovation and Economic Prosperity in Innovation Award.
- Iowa State was selected to represent America's colleges and universities as a leader in innovation during the U.S. Postal Service's innovation stamp virtual unveiling.
- Iowa State is the first public university in Iowa to offer an undergraduate major in entrepreneurship and only the eighth in the United States to offer a Ph.D. specialization in entrepreneurship.
- The Student Innovation Center is a hands-on hub for Iowa State students of all programs and majors. It provides a unique, state-of-the-art space for students to exercise their innovative and entrepreneurial muscles – to design, fabricate, test and demonstrate ideas -- everything from culinary to lunar, and digital gaming to vehicles. The facility also includes exhibit space, print and supplies shops, a student-run cafe, office space for student organizations and a plethora of wireless access points.
Iowa State is a National Science Foundation Innovation Corps site to enable researchers to explore the commercial potential of their emerging technologies.