Office of the President
News from the Office of the President
Additional news and notes from President Leath can be found under the Messages tab
Iowa Legislative leaders reach deal on FY17 budget reduction
In a Jan. 26 email to campus, President Leath outlined how the FY17 budget reduction will impact Iowa State.
President Leath part of UIA panel discussion on Next Generation Universities
FY18 Governor's Budget Hearing
At a Nov. 22 meeting at the state capitol, President Leath presented Iowa State's FY18 state appropriation request to Gov. Branstad and Lt. Gov. Reynolds.
In a Nov. 7 video message, President Leath encouraged the campus community to vote and to adhere to the Principles of the Iowa State Community.
Updated: Feb. 8, 2017
Points of Pride
- Educational Excellence: Iowa State marks 100 years of continuous accreditation.
- Student experience: Fall 2016 enrollment set a new record of 36,660 – marking the eighth consecutive year of record enrollment.
- Serve more Iowa students (20,713) than any other institution
- Majority of students in 74 of Iowa’s 99 counties attend ISU
- First-year retention rate increased to 87.6%
- 50% of graduates earn degrees in STEM fields
- 95% placement rate for graduating seniors
- Average debt load for Iowa State graduates has declined 8.5% in three years (down 11% for resident students)
- Diversity and Inclusion: Record number of international and U.S. multicultural students, totaling nearly 24 percent of the student body. Reintroduced Principles of the Iowa State Community
- Research and scholarship: $425.8 million in external funding in FY16, 12% increase in research funding
- Economic development: Grand opening of Iowa State's Economic Development Core Facility, the cornerstone of the ISU Research Park's, Phase 3 expansion and a gateway to the Cultivation Corridor. The Association of Public and Land-grant Universities designates Iowa State an Innovation and Economic Prosperity University.
- Fundraising and development: Moving Students Forward initiative reaches $200 million goal for student support and scholarships a full year ahead of schedule. Forever True, For Iowa State, Iowa State's largest comprehensive fundraising campaign, is launched with a goal to raise $1.1 billion by June 30, 2020.
- Government relations: Five consecutive years of increases to the general university state appropriation (FY12-FY16).
- Extension and Outreach: Programs impact more than 1 million Iowans annually with offices in all 99 counties.
- Alumni: More than 242,000 Iowa State alumni live in nearly 150 countries; 100,223 live in Iowa.
- Great value: Iowa State named best college in Iowa for providing high quality education at an affordable price.
- Campus Beautification: 5th most beautiful campus in the world.
- Community: Ames is the best college town in the country.
- Honors: 2015 AAAS Charles Valentine Riley Memorial Lecture: A University President’s Perspective on the Economic Importance of Pursuing a Unifying Message to Make Agriculture a National Priority; selected to serve on the NCAA Division I Board of Directors and NCAA Board of Governors.