Office of the President
News from the Office of the President
Additional news and notes from President Leath can be found under the Messages tab
Regents set tuition rates for 2016-2017 academic year
New tuition rates include Board of Regents-approved tuition increases to take effect fall 2016.
Iowa State's new strategic plan approved
The Iowa Board of Regents at its July 18 meeting unanimously approved Iowa State's new FY17-FY22 strategic plan.
New record for external, research funding
Iowa State attracted a record $425.8 million in external funding in FY16 and increased research funding by 12%.
Best college in the state
Money names Iowa State University the best college in Iowa.
Innovation and Economic Prosperity University
The Association of Public and Land-grant Universities (APLU) designates Iowa State an Innovation and Economic Prosperity University, noting that "economic development is in the DNA of ISU."
Points of Pride
- Educational Excellence: Iowa State marks 100 years of continuous accreditation.
- Student experience: Fall 2015 enrollment set a new record of 36,001 – marking the seventh consecutive year of record enrollment.
- Serve more Iowa students (21,064) than any other institution
- Majority of students in 74 of Iowa’s 99 counties attend ISU
- First-year retention rate increased to 87.4%
- 50% of graduates earned degrees in STEM fields
- 95% placement rate for graduating seniors
- Average debt load for Iowa State graduates has declined 8.5% in three years (down 11% for resident students)
- Diversity: Record number of international and U.S. multicultural students, totaling 23 percent of the student body. Initiated new senior level position, Vice President for Diversity and Inclusion.
- Research and scholarship: $425.8 million in external funding in FY16, 12% increase in research funding
- Economic development: Grand opening of Iowa State's Economic Development Core Facility, the cornerstone of the ISU Research Park's, Phase 3 expansion and a gateway to the Cultivation Corridor. The Association of Public and Land-grant Universities designates Iowa State an Innovation and Economic Prosperity University.
- Fundraising and development: Four year university fundraising total tops $519M; Moving Students Forward initiative raises $189M for student support and scholarships.
- Government relations: Secured an increase to the general university state appropriation for the fifth consecutive year.
- Extension and Outreach: Programs impact more than 1 million Iowans annually with offices in all 99 counties.
- Alumni: More than 242,000 Iowa State alumni live in nearly 150 countries; 100,223 live in Iowa.
- Great value: Iowa State named best college in Iowa for providing high quality education at an affordable price.
- Campus Beautification: 5th most beautiful campus in the world.
- Community: Ames is the best college town in the country.
- Honors: 2015 AAAS Charles Valentine Riley Memorial Lecture: A University President’s Perspective on the Economic Importance of Pursuing a Unifying Message to Make Agriculture a National Priority; selected to serve on the NCAA Division I Board of Directors.