Office of the President
News from the Office of the President
Additional news and notes from President Leath can be found under the Messages tab
Tuition increase proposal
University to review pay structure
A mandated change in the federal Fair Labor Standards Act (FSLA) has prompted a review of the university's entire professional and scientific classification and compensation system.
Statement on tuition increase proprosal
President Leath fills two top administrative positions
President Leath has named individuals to fill two of the university's top administrative positions: Senior Vice President for University Services and University Counsel.
President Leath approves new university strategic plan
President Leath selected to serve on the NCAA Division I Board of Directors
President Leath has been named to a four-year term on the board of directors of the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) as the representative of the Big 12 Conference.
President Leath announces restructuring of university business and financial operations
In a March 24 email to campus, President Leath announced plans to split the Office of Business and Finance into two divisions, following the retirement of longtime Senior Vice President for Business and Finance Warren Madden.
Points of Pride
- Educational Excellence: Iowa State marks 100 years of continuous accreditation.
- Student experience: Fall 2015 enrollment set a new record of 36,001 – marking the seventh consecutive year of record enrollment.
- Serve more Iowa students (21,064) than any other institution
- Majority of students in 74 of Iowa’s 99 counties attend ISU
- First-year retention rate increased to 87.4%
- 50% of graduates earned degrees in STEM fields
- 95% placement rate for graduating seniors
- Average debt load for Iowa State graduates has declined 8.5% in three years (down 11% for resident students)
- Diversity: Record number of international and U.S. multicultural students, totaling 23 percent of the student body. Initiated new senior level position, Vice President for Diversity and Inclusion.
- Research and scholarship: $425 million in external funding in FY15, a new university record.
- Economic development: Grand opening of Iowa State's Economic Development Core Facility, the cornerstone of the ISU Research Park's, Phase 3 expansion and a gateway to the Cultivation Corridor.
- Fundraising and development: New fundraising record set in FY15 at $165 million.
- Government relations: Secured an increase to the general university state appropriation for the fifth consecutive year.
- Extension and Outreach: Programs impact more than 1 million Iowans annually with offices in all 99 counties.
- Alumni: More than 242,000 Iowa State alumni live in nearly 150 countries; 100,223 live in Iowa.
- Campus Beautification: 5th most beautiful campus in the world.
- Community: Ames is the best college town in the country.
- Honors: 2015 AAAS Charles Valentine Riley Memorial Lecture: A University President’s Perspective on the Economic Importance of Pursuing a Unifying Message to Make Agriculture a National Priority; selected to serve on the NCAA Division I Board of Directors.